CEVAPI WITH AJVAR - BEEF KAFTAS WITH A RED PEPPER RELISH
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- In a bowl, combine the minced beef, onion, crushed garlic, smoked paprika, bicarbonate of soda, egg and season well with salt and pepper. Then pour in sparkling water a little at a time until the mixture is smooth.
- Using your hands, combine well and shape the beef mixture into about 22 balls about the size of golf balls and then squash them into a sausage shape about 10cm long.
- Place the cevapi on an oiled baking tray, cover and refrigerate until needed. This will help the flavours to develop.
- Coat the peppers and aubergine with olive oil, place on a baking tray with the garlic head and cook for about 30 minutes or until charred and soft.
- Once the peppers and aubergine are cooked, put them in a plastic bag or zip-lock and let them steam for about 10 minutes, then peel the skin off and deseed.
- Squeeze half the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and put them in a food processor/blender with the roasted peppers and aubergine and pulse until you have a chunky sauce.
- Stir in the lemon juice, a big glug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Adjust the sauce to taste.
- Brush oil on the cevapi and grill on a hot fire or griddle pan, turning occasionally until cooked through and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Heat up the flatbreads or wraps alongside the cevapi.
- To serve, spread some ajvar over a warm flatbread, place a few cevapi over the sauce and finish off with a dollop of sour cream, a few slices of onion and a sprinkle of parsley.
- 1kg minced meat
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 150 ml sparkling water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for serving
- Red onion, sliced for serving
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley, chopped for garnish
Ajvar (red pepper relish):
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 red peppers
- 1 aubergine
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
Prep: 50 min
Cooking: 10 min
Ready In: 1h
Servings: 6 people
Tips & Tricks
Serve the cevapi as an appetiser or as a main meal.