Chilli Con Carne
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onions and green peppers until they are soft and lightly golden.
- Stir in the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, ground coriander, origanum and bay leaves and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the minced beef and evenly brown the meat.
- Pour in the beef stock, kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and fresh chilli and bring to the boil.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and gently simmer uncovered on a low heat for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves and cheddar cheese over the top and serve whilst hot.
- 750g minced beef
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried origanum
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 400g tinned red kidney beans, drained
- 1 400g tinned tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander sprigs, for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, grated for serving (optional)
Prep: 15 min
Cooking: 30 min
Ready In: 45 min
Servings: 6 people
Tips & Tricks
This delicious Mexican meal can be served with soft tortillas/wraps, taco shells or