Chinese Beef Shin and Aubergine Hotpot
Variations: Substitute beef shin with short ribs
- Heat a large pot on a medium-high heat and dry fry the star anise and cinnamon stick until fragrant. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Pour a splash of olive oil to the pot and working in batches, add a few shin pieces at a time and fry until browned on both sides.
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, chillies, ginger, sugar, kaffir leaves and toasted star anise and cinnamon stick to the pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and use a spoon to skim off any fat that has risen to the surface.
- Stir in the aubergines and cook uncovered for another hour until the beef is falling off the bone.
- Garnish the hotpot with fresh coriander and chillies and serve with steamed rice.
- 2kg beef shin, bone in
- 5 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 100g fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 aubergines, halved and thickly sliced
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- Red chillies, sliced for garnish (optional)
Prep: 10 min
Ready In: 3hrs 10 min
Servings: 6 - 8 people
Tips & Tricks
This hotpot can be made ahead of time and reheated to serve.