Substitute ribeye with rump or sirloin steak
- Start by putting the rice on to boil. Follow the package instructions for cooking directions.
- Lightly oil the ribeye with peanut oil and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Grill the steak in a hot frying pan or griddle pan turning to cook for 5 minutes on both sides.
- Remove the ribeye from the pan, transfer to a chopping board and allow to rest for half its cooking time before slicing it into thin slivers.
- In the meantime, heat a glug of peanut oil in a wok until hot.
- Add the onion and stir-fry until translucent, then stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add all the honey and black pepper sauce ingredients into the wok and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick and syrupy.
- Stir the steak strips and its juices into the sauce and toss until warmed through. Be careful to not overcook the beef.
- Serve the saucy honey and black pepper beef with the jasmine rice and garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds.
- 500g ribeye steak
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Spring onions, sliced, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Honey and black pepper sauce:
- 3 Tbsp soya sauce
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Tips & Tricks
This dish can also be served with a side of steamed vegetables.