Classic Baked Meatloaf
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onions and carrots until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme leaves and cook for an additional minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced beef with the onion mixture, breadcrumbs, milk, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and eggs and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Shape the mince into a large loaf and place in the centre of a casserole dish or deep baking tray.
- Mix the tinned tomatoes and beef stock together and pour over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until the meatloaf is dark golden in colour and cooked through and the tomato sauce is reduced.
- Sprinkle over parmesan cheese and rosemary leaves to serve and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 1kg minced beef
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, cut into thin half slices
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 400g tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- Rosemary leaves, for serving (optional)
Prep: 10 min
Cooking: 45 min
Ready In: 55 min
Servings: 2 - 4 people
Tips & Tricks
Prepare this meal ahead of time and reheat to serve.