Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
Rare: 4 minutes on each side
Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side
Medium: 6 minutes on each side (recommended)
Well-done: Not recommended
Substitute ribeye with rump or sirloin steak
- To make the marinade, mix together all the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined and pour into a zip lock bag.
- Transfer the ribeye steaks and shiitake mushrooms to the zip lock bag with the marinade and turn to coat. Place in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours to marinate, the longer the better.
- When you are ready to start cooking, put the rice on to boil. Follow the package instructions for cooking directions.
- In the meantime, prepare the cucumber salad. Combine the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Use a mandolin slicer or potato peeler to slice the cucumber into ribbons, add to the vinegar and mix in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Remove the ribeye steaks and mushrooms from the marinade and grill in a hot griddle pan, turning to cook on both sides to your preferred doneness (see cooking guideline above).
- Leave the meat to rest for half its cooking time before slicing it.
- In each bowl, arrange the sliced ribeye, shiitake mushrooms, avocado halves and pickled cucumber salad over the jasmine rice. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds and enjoy!
- 2 300g ribeye steak
- 120g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 avocados, halved and sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Black sesame seeds, for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
Pickled cucumber salad:
- 1/2 large cucumber, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Tips & Tricks
To infuse even more flavour into the beef, marinate the steak and mushrooms in the refrigerator overnight.