- Rare: 4 minutes on each side
- Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side (recommended)
- Medium: 6 minutes on each side
- Well-done: Not recommended
- For the pizza dough, sieve the flour into a large bowl then stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the flour and pour in the warm water and olive oil and bring together with your hands. If the dough is too sticky add extra flour and if it’s too dry add extra water until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Knead the dough on a flour-dusted surface for a few minutes until you have a smooth, springy dough. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise until doubled in size, about an hour or so.
- In a small bowl, combine all the taco rub spices together.
- Lightly coat the flank steaks in olive oil and generously apply the taco rub to the beef. Set aside.
- For the salsa, chop the red onion, tomatoes, chillies, avocado and coriander as instructed above and mix together in a bowl. Squeeze the lime juice over the top, stir to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/430°F.
- In the meantime, divide the dough in 6 to 8 balls, sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and roll out thin pizza bases, about 0.5cm thick. Transfer the bases onto pre-heated, floured baking trays.
- Sprinkle the cheese onto the pizza bases and bake the pizzas in the pre-heated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the bases are golden and crispy.
- Whilst the bases are crisping up, grill the seasoned flank steak in a smoking hot griddle pan, turning to cook on both sides to your preferred doneness (see cooking guideline above). Leave the meat to rest for half its cooking time before slicing it into slivers.
- Top each pizza with slices of medium-rare taco spiced flank steak and fresh pico de gallo salsa. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve whilst hot.
- 500 g flank steak
- 250g cheddar/gouda cheese, grated
- Optional: sour cream, for topping
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp origanum
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Pico de Gallo with avocado (fresh salsa):
- 1 red onion, diced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 fresh green/red chilli, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Tips & Tricks
If you don’t have the time to make your own pizza dough, you can always use store-bought pizza bases.