Substitute short ribs with flat ribs
- To make the marinade, mix together all the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined and pour into a zip lock bag.
- Transfer the short ribs to the zip lock bag with the marinade and turn to coat. Place in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours to marinate, the longer the better.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place the ribs into an oven safe dish or baking tray and pour over the marinade.
- Cover the oven dish with tinfoil and cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix all the salsa verde ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper (taking into account that capers and anchovies are naturally salty) and adjust the balance of the flavours by adding more olive oil or lemon juice.
- Remove the foil from the oven dish, turn the beef over and increase the oven temperature to 220°C/430°F. Grill for another 30 minutes or until the ribs are crispy and golden.
- Spoon the salsa verde over the hot ribs and serve with lemon wedges.
- 2kg thick cut short ribs
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Lemon herb marinade:
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 30g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 15g fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp capers, diced
- 3 medium sweet gherkins, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tips & Tricks
To infuse even more flavour into the meat, marinate the ribs in the refrigerator overnight