- Start by making the polenta. Heat the chicken stock in a medium saucepan until almost boiling and slowly add the polenta constantly whisking until combined. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes, whisking every 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, butter and parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt. Spoon the polenta into a medium sized greased dish and place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour to set. Wait 20 minutes before starting the next steps.
- Place the dried porcini mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside until mushrooms are plump and soft. Reserve the liquid for cooking.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat and fry the onions until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced beef and evenly brown the meat. Stir in the portobellini mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and chilli flakes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sundried tomatoes, beef stock, porcini mushrooms and porcini liquid and bring to the boil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and gently simmer uncovered on a low heat for 20 to 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 230°C/450°F or turn on the grill.
- Remove the polenta from the refrigerator and using a round metal cutter, cut the polenta into 9 circles.
- Transfer the sundried tomato beef mixture into a medium oven-safe casserole dish, top with the polenta circles and sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese.
- Place in the oven and grill for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Garnish with herbs and serve whilst hot.
- 750g minced beef
- Olive Oil
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250g portabellini mushrooms, ½ quartered, ½ whole
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 250g sundried tomatoes
- 1 400g tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Baby herb leaves, for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup polenta (Italian maize meal)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
Tips & Tricks
Preparation: 20 minutes (plus setting time) Strain the porcini mushroom liquid as there could be soil in the liquid from the mushrooms.