Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
Rare: 4 minutes on each side
Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side (recommended)
Medium: 6 minutes on each side
Well-done: Not recommended
Substitute fillet with sirloin or rump steak
- Combine the salad dressing ingredients, mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients for the salad and combine in a large bowl.
- Generously season the fillet with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add sesame seed oil to a frying pan and heat until smoking hot. Cook the fillet to your preference (medium rare is recommended), see cooking guideline above and adjust the time according to the thickness of your steak.
- Leave the meat to rest for half its cooking time.
- Slice the beef into thin slivers and add to the salad.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of the salad, toss and garnish with the fresh chillies and roasted cashew nuts.
- 500g fillet steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame seed oil, for cooking
- 2 baby gem lettuce hearts
- 1/3 large cucumber, peeled and sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced and halved
- 75g edamame beans, cooked
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 10g coriander leaves
- 10g mint leaves
- 10g purple basil leaves
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp roasted cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 3 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
Tips & Tricks
This salad can also be served as an appetiser.