Substitute fillet with sirloin, ribeye or rump steak
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- To make the tarragon salt, combinethe tarragon leaves, salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over a high heat, add a splash of olive oil and evenly brown the fillet on all sides. Sear the ends for only a few seconds to seal in the juices. It should be rare on the inside.
- Transfer the beef to an oven safe dish or baking tray and coat the whole fillet with 2/3 of the tarragon salt, reserving some for serving.
- Cook in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes for medium rare.
- Leave the fillet to rest for half its cooking time before slicing it into thick rounds.
- Serve with the remaining tarragon salt and your choice of sides.
- 500g piece of fillet
- Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh or freeze dried tarragon
- 1.5 Tbsp salt flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Tips & Tricks
A meat thermometer comes in very handy when cooking a whole fillet in the oven. It measures the internal temperature of the meat so it doesn’t overcook