- Start by putting the rice on to boil so it is ready for serving as soon as the meatballs are cooked. Follow the package instructions for cooking directions.
- Using your hands, combine the minced beef with the panko breadcrumbs, egg, ginger, garlic, soya sauce and sriracha sauce.
- Form the minced beef mixture into meatballs about the size of golf balls.
- To help firm up the meatballs, put them on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator until needed.
- In the meantime, heat a small saucepan to a medium-high heat, add all the teriyaki sauce ingredients except for the cornflour and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with a 1/4 cup of water, stir the mixture into the sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Finish the teriyaki sauce by removing the onion and ginger slices and season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium-high heat, pour a few tablespoons of sesame seed oil in the pan and fry the meatballs for approximately 8 to 10 minutes or until they are golden brown all over.
- Spoon over 1/3 of the teriyaki sauce into the pan with the meatballs and coat them in the sauce.
- Serve the juicy teriyaki meatballs over the rice, garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds and spoon the remaining teriyaki sauce over the top.
- Sesame seed oil, for frying
- Jasmine or basmati rice, for serving
- 2 spring onions, sliced, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, sprinkled, for garnish
- 1/3 cup soya sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp Mirin
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 Tbsp cornflour (Maizena)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Tips & Tricks
This dish can be prepared ahead of time, just cook the meatballs and re-heat the teriyaki sauce and rice before serving.