Nice to meat you
SANHA was formed as a nationally represented, non-profit Halaal food authority in 1996. SANHA has the widest possible support base from consumers and the industry. SANHA's founding membership comprises all role-players in the Halaal meat industry as well as representation from major theological bodies in South Africa. In a short space of time SANHA has gained recognition from Muslim authorities worldwide. To find out more, visit SANHA's website by clicking here.
NIHT The National Independent Halaal Trust (NIHT), formerly known as the IHT, was formed and constituted in 1992. Since October 2000, the growth of the NIHT has been phenomenal. The NIHT aspires to the highest Halaal standards as prescribed by Sharia (Islamic) law, these standards have been set up by Mufti's and various Ulema from across the Islamic ideological spectrum. Presently the NIHT has offices in Johannesburg, Laudium (Pretoria) and Durban, with logistical bases in the Eastern Cape, Western Cape and Northern Cape. To find out more about the NIHT, click here.
Karan Beef has recently been awarded the FSSC 22000 accreditation which is the highest Food Safety Management System (FSMS) attainable worldwide. Karan Beef is a recognised leader in a very competitive industry. Consumers and retailers set very high demands on food safety, so it is of the utmost importance to Karan Beef to achieve this prestigious accreditation. Karan Beef’s abattoir is the first in South Africa to achieve this accreditation.
FSSC 22000 is the world’s leading, independently managed, non-profit food organisation scheme for ISO 22000-based certification of food safety management systems. The FSSC 22000 Food Safety Management System provides a framework for effectively managing your food safety and quality responsibilities. It is fully recognised by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and is based on existing ISO Standards. It demonstrates that a company has a robust and effective FSMS in place to meet the requirements of regulators, customers and consumers.
FSSC 22000 has positioned itself as a leading global certification scheme. Developed in response to the needs of the international food sector, it provides an independent ISO-based food safety management scheme for third party auditing and certification of the Food Safety Management Systems. It is fully based on the international, independent standards: ISO 22003 with sector specific technical specifications for prerequisite programmes (PRP’s) and additional scheme requirements.
Benefits of FSSC 22000 Certification:
- Customer satisfaction – through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements including quality, safety and legality.
- Reduced operating costs – through continual improvement of processes and resulting operational efficiencies.
- Operational efficiencies – by integrating PRP’s and OPRP’s, HACCP with the Plan-Do-Check-Act philosophies of ISO 9001 to increase the effectiveness of the Food Safety Management System.
- Improved stakeholder relationships – including staff, customers and suppliers.
- Legal compliance – by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organisation and its customers and testing compliance through internal audits and management reviews.
- Improved risk management – through greater consistency and traceability of product.
- Proven business credentials – through independent verification against recognised standards.
- Ability to win more business – particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a condition to supply.
- By gaining certification, you will gain recognition for your ongoing commitment to food safety, prove your integrity to the market, and enhance consumer confidence in your brand.
- Download the FSSC 22000 Certification here.
- For more information on FSSC 22000 visit their home page.
The standard can be applied on its own, or in combination with other management system standards such as ISO 9001.