Braai; Entertaining; Appetizer
- Start by making the pap. Follow the package instructions for cooking directions and cook until the pap is smooth and has a firm consistency.
- Whilst the pap is cooking, make the relish. Heat a splash of olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat and fry the onions until they are soft and lightly golden.
- Add the garlic, green chilli and smoked paprika and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Once the pap is cooked, allow to cool slightly. Then using your hands, roll the pap into balls about the size of golf balls. Set aside.
- To make the boerewors pieces measure approximately 6 cm and make a pinch in the boerewors with your fingers. Twist the boerewors toward yourself three times to make a link.
- Then measure another 6cm down the length of the boerewors, make a pinch and twist away from yourself three times. Continue alternating twist directions until you’ve completed the length of the sausage and tie a knot in the casing at the end of the boerewors.
- Cut the links in the boerewors and prepare the kebabs by threading the boerewors bites onto skewers alternating with pap balls and peppadews.
- Braai the boerewors, pap and peppadew kebabs for 5 to 8 minutes over gentle coals, turning 3 to 5 times until the meat is cooked to medium and is still juicy.
- Serve these boerewors skewers as a snack with the spicy tomato and onion relish or serve them as part of a larger braai with a variety of meats and side dishes.
- 600g pack of Boerewors
- 1 cup pap maize meal
- 12 peppadews
- Baby herb leaves, for garnish (optional)
Spicy tomato and onion relish:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 400g tinned tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tips & Tricks
The boerewors kebabs can also be cooked in a griddle pan on the stove top.