Cola BBQ Ribs
Substitute short ribs with flat ribs.
- Place a large saucepan over a high heat, add the ribs, Cola, beef stock, onion, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to the boil.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer the ribs for 1.5 hours.
- In the meantime, make the Cola BBQ sauce. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan and cook the onions until soft. Stir in the garlic and sauté for a further minute
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer uncovered on low for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened. Allow to cool.
- Blend the Cola BBQ sauce in a food processor/blender until smooth. Set aside half the sauce for serving.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/430°F.
- Discard the cooking liquid from the saucepan and transfer the ribs to a baking tray.
- Season the rib racks well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and generously baste with the Cola BBQ sauce.
- Grill in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes on each side or until the beef is tender and is crisping up around the edges. Keep an eye on the ribs to make sure the basting doesn’t burn.
- Serve these tender ribs with extra Cola BBQ sauce and lots of serviettes.
- 2kg thick cut short ribs
- 1.75L of Cola soft drink
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 onion, quartered
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
Cola BBQ sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 250ml Cola soft drink
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep: 30 min
Cooking: 1h 30 min
Ready In: 1h 40 min
Servings: 4 - 6 people
Tips & Tricks
These ribs can be cooked ahead of time and be reheated before serving.