Substitute minced beef with ready-made burger patties
- Using your hands, combine the minced beef with the diced red onion, coriander, garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika, lemon zest and egg and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mince into 4 parts and roll each piece into a ball, then form into flat patties roughly 10cm wide and about 2cm thick.
- To help firm up the patties, drizzle with olive oil, put them on a plate, cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- In the meantime, add all the hummus ingredients to a food processor/blender and blend until smooth and well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Heat a griddle pan on a medium-high heat, brush the burger patties with oil and cook for 3 or 4 minutes on each side or to your liking. Use a spatula to lightly press down on them, making sure each burger is in full contact with the pan.
- Before serving, heat the naan bread by either dry frying them in a hot frying pan over a medium-high heat for 15 seconds turning halfway or microwave for about 30 seconds to 45 seconds.
- When building the burgers the naan can be cut in half for a top and a bottom or a whole naan can be folded over the burger patty which might make it easier to eat.
- Top the warm naan with rocket leaves, cucumber slices, cumin beef patties, hummus and exotic tomatoes and enjoy!
Method: Tahini Paste
- Toast the sesame seeds in a pan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until they become golden brown. Be careful, sesame seeds burn easily. Remove and allow to cool.
- Add the sesame seeds to a food processor/blender, start by using 2 tablespoons of olive oil and blend into a smooth paste. Pour in more olive oil if needed to reach the consistency of a paste.
- The tahini paste can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for several months.
- 750g minced beef (non-lean)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 15g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 4 naan breads
- 400g tinned chickpeas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste (see below)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
Tahini paste (optional to make from scratch):
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds
- +-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 40g rocket leaves
- Cucumber, sliced
- Exotic tomatoes, sliced
Tips & Tricks
For a smoky, flame-grilled flavour, grill the burger patties over an open fire.