Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
- Rare: 4 minutes on each side
- Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side (recommended)
- Medium: 6 minutes on each side
- Well-done: Not recommended
Variations: Substitute fillet with sirloin or rump steak
- Combine the salad dressing ingredients, mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Lightly coat the fillet in sesame seed oil and generously season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a splash of sesame oil in a frying pan over a high heat and cook the fillet to your preference (medium rare is recommended), see cooking guideline above and adjust the time according to the thickness of your steak.
- Place the fillet on a board and leave to rest for half its cooking time.
- In the meantime, prepare the tomatoes, spring onions and baby herb lettuce for the salad and set aside in small bowls.
- Slice the beef into thin slivers.
- Tear the lettuce leaves off at the base of the head of lettuce and fill with fillet pieces, tomatoes, spring onions and baby herb leaves. Drizzle the dressing over the top and if desired, garnish with fresh chilli.
- 500g fillet steak
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sesame seed oil, for cooking
- 1 head crunchita/iceberg lettuce
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- 25g baby herb leaves
- 1 red chilli, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
Tips & Tricks
Make the dressing and refrigerate the night before to allow the flavours to really infuse.