Preparation time : 10 minutes (plus marinating time)
Substitute short ribs with flat ribs
- To make the marinade, mix together all the marinade ingredients in a bowl until well combined and pour into a zip lock bag.
- Place the ribs into the zip lock bag with the marinade, turn to coat and refrigerate overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/320°F.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade (keeping the marinade to one side) and place a large, deep baking tray onto your stove top.
- Turn the burners/plates under the tray on to a medium-high heat. Add a big splash of olive oil to the baking tray and evenly brown the short ribs by turning them with a pair of tongs.
- Pour the marinade over the beef so all the ribs are well coated.
- Cover the baking tray with tinfoil and cook in the oven for 2 hours (turning the beef half way through cooking) or until the ribs are falling off the bone and the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Sprinkle the sliced salad onions on top of the short ribs and serve.
- 2kg thick cut short ribs
- Red salad onions, sliced for garnish
- 1 cup soya sauce
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp sesame seed oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
Tips & Tricks
Cook the ribs for as long as you can to ensure they are tender and falling off the