Substitute brisket with a chuck roast
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/320°F.
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large oven-safe pot over a medium-high heat and fry off the cumin, paprika, cinnamon and cayenne pepper for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the brisket, ginger and garlic and sear until browned on all sides. Be careful to not burn the garlic, it will turn bitter.
- Stir in the beef stock, salt, pepper, fresh coriander and parsley and bring to the boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven to cook for 3 hours.
- Put the goat’s cheese logs in the freezer so it’s easier to slice and only start the next step a few minutes before the beef is ready.
- Using a mortar and pestle crush the pistachio nuts into fine pieces and in a bowl combine with the bread crumbs, parsley, mint and salt. Crack the egg into a separate bowl and whisk well.
- Slice each goat’s cheese log into about 6 rounds, wiping the knife in between cuts. Dip each slice into the beaten egg and then dredge them through the pistachio mixture until well coated on both sides.
- Heat a small saucepan over a medium-high heat and add around 3cm of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot, gently place one goat’s cheese round at a time in the oil and fry for a few seconds per side until golden brown.
- Remove the brisket from the pot, leave it to cool slightly and using two forks or your hands, pull the beef apart to create a shredded texture.
- To assemble the salad, add the mixed leaves, coriander, spring onion, grapes, strawberries and pulled beef to a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over the top of the salad, season with salt and pepper, toss and garnish with the pistachio crusted fried goat’s cheese. Serve with warm naan bread
- 600 g boneless brisket
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cm fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh coriander
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- Naan bread, for serving
Fresh salad ingredients:
- 2 x 100 g mixed bag of watercress, baby spinach and rocket
- 10 sprigs fresh coriander
- 2 spring onions, sliced lengthways
- +-16 red seedless grapes, whole
- +- 12 strawberries, quartered lengthways
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 lemon, juice for drizzling
- 2 small lemons, sliced and charred, optional garnish
Fried goat’s cheese rounds:
- 2 x 100 g soft goat’s cheese logs (chèvre)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 30 g pistachio nuts
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Tips & Tricks
Buy the watercress, baby spinach and rocket separately if you can’t find a mixed bag or substitute for different mixed salad greens.