Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
Rare: 4 minutes on each side
Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side (recommended)
Medium: 6 minutes on each side
Well-done: Not recommended
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients for the salad and combine in a large bowl.
- Lightly coat the flank steak in olive oil and season with cumin, chilli flakes and salt.
- Grill the flank steak on a hot fire or griddle pan, turning to cook on both sides to your preferred doneness (see cooking guideline above).
- Allow the meat to rest for half its cooking time.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the steak and toss into the salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice over the salad and top with a few tortilla chips for crunch.
- 1/3 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 400g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of corn (mielie), steamed and cut off the cob
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 serenade (sweet) chillies, sliced
- 40g mature cheddar with peri-peri, chunks
- 12 tortilla chips, for garnish
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Lime wedges, for serving
Tips & Tricks
This salad can be served as a main meal or as a starter or light meal.